It’s a well-known fact that customers, regardless of the industry, expect you to know them. They not only want, but are increasingly demanding that their service provider engage with them in a personal and relevant manner.
In our last blog we discussed the importance of delivering personalized communications and why data is vital to truly understanding your customers’ needs. What do you need to do so that the data you possess can be used to gain a deeper understanding of your customers? Providing tailored engagements begins with a complete understand of your customers’ needs – their likes, dislikes, communication channel preferences and what they value. Here are five steps every service provider can take to deliver the kind of personal experiences that result in improved customer satisfaction and ultimately less churn:
- Liberate your data. You need a cross-company data strategy that allows you to collect and link data from various, disconnected systems. Make sure the data is in a format that is available centrally to your other systems and teams, so they can act on it. Data from social media listening tools should not be ignored. When integrated, you’ll have access to customer sentiment and context.
- Review your organizational structure. Are teams or departments operating in silos? Are communication channels linked? Review all processes for communicating with the customer, including how information is passed to your customer service representatives.
- Optimize your communications strategy. It’s important to send the right message, at the right time, through the right channel. Design matters, too! Delivering the right content is just one part of the picture. How the information is presented may be the difference between communication that is opened and read or immediately tossed aside. Service providers need to tailor communications to the interests of each customer, whether it is digital or print, to help ensure customers take action.
- Stay flexible and act fast. With the help of artificial intelligence (AI), a lot of decision-making will be automated. In fact, the only way to handle the complexity of linking and interpreting all the data from different sources will be through AI engines. For now, service providers can use A/B testing to help them make decisions. For example, to find the right language for a group of customers with similar needs, or to assess the impact of adding relevant content to the bill each month.
- Measure your success. Data savvy service providers with efficient analytics processes can use their understanding of customer needs and wants to implement better services. This enables you to create personalized and relevant customer experiences, and consequently, boost satisfaction and reduce churn. To ensure the services you deliver remain on track to meet customer needs, you should continuously review the outcomes of your actions against clearly defined targets, such as reducing the number of inbound calls. By continuing to learn from current actions, you will uncover the best ways of moving the needle to deliver the experiences your customers expect.
Are you ready to turn your data into actions that deliver tailored experiences? Contact us to learn how BriteBill can help you personalize your customer communications.